Policy objectives, Interreg-specific Objectives and their specific objectives (2021-2027). What are they?
Regulation (EU) 2021/1060 of the European Parliament and of the Council, of 24 June 2021 (the so-called ‘Common Provisions Regulation’, or ‘CPR’), defined, in its article 5 (to which you can refer here) five fundamental policy objectives for the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF), and hence for Interreg, among other Funds:
- Policy Objective (PO) 1: A more competitive and smarter Europe by promoting innovative and smart economic transformation and regional ICT connectivity;
- PO2: A greener, low-carbon transitioning towards a net zero carbon economy and resilient Europe by promoting clean and fair energy transition, green and blue investment, the circular economy, climate change mitigation and adaptation, risk prevention and management, and sustainable urban mobility;
- PO3: A more connected Europe by enhancing mobility;
- PO4: A more social and inclusive Europe implementing the European Pillar of Social Rights;
- PO5: A Europe closer to citizens by fostering the sustainable and integrated development of all types of territories and local initiatives.
Regulation (EU) 2021/1058 of the European Parliament and of the Council, also of 24 June 2021, defined specific objectives for the ERDF and the Cohesion Fund, several per each policy objective. To learn more please refer to Article 3 of the mentioned regulation.
Lastly, Regulation (EU) 2021/1059 of the European Parliament and of the Council, also of 24 June 2021, established that, besides the afore-mentioned policy objectives, Interreg programmes could also support the Interreg-specific objectives of ‘a better cooperation governance’ (with a few specific objectives contributing to it) and of ‘a safer and more secure Europe’. Furthermore, the PEACE PLUS cross-border programme also contributes to promoting social, economic, and regional stability in the regions concerned, in particular through actions to promote cohesion between communities. Separate priority supports that specific objective. You can refer to Article 14 of this regulation here.