Thematic objectives (ENI CBC). What are they?
The Programming document for EU support to ENI Cross-Border Cooperation (2014-2020), published further to the so-called ENI Regulation (Regulation (EC) N° 232/2014 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 11 March 2014) determines that each ENI CBC programme is to focus on ‘up to 4 thematic objectives consistent with those of the European Territorial Cooperation goal of the European Regional Development Fund’.
Following is the list of ENI CBC thematic objectives, as described in this document. To each thematic objective correspond strategic objectives and indicators, as detailed in each 2014-2020 ENI CBC programme pages in keep.eu.
Business and SME development
- Fostering cooperation between public and private sector;
- Strengthening economic clusters;
- Enhancement of competitiveness;
- Promotion of and support to entrepreneurship;
- Support to the development and modernisation of businesses in specific sectors (e.g., tourism, agriculture, fisheries).
Support to education, research, technological development and innovation
- Fostering cooperation between businesses and training institutions for innovation and R&D, joint educational planning;
- Promotion of skills development and lifelong learning;
- Supporting local cooperation in education;
- Promotion of and support to research and innovation.
Promotion of local culture and preservation of historical heritage:
- Promoting local culture and history
- Supporting traditional skills for local economic development.
Promotion of social inclusion and fight against poverty
- Support to the development of social services;
- Enhancing the access to social services;
- Promoting gender equality and equal opportunities;
- Support to the integration of immigrants and vulnerable groups;
- Promoting employment and supporting labour mobility;
- Stimulate employment for youth.
Support to local & regional good governance
- Increasing capacity of local & regional authorities and communities and partnerships with the private sector and academia;
- Coordination of planning activities;
- Support to regional integration;
- Promoting legal and administrative cooperation.
Environmental protection, climate change mitigation and adaptation:
- Joint actions for environmental protection and efficient management of maritime space and resources;
- Preservation and sustainable use of natural resources including biodiversity;
- Support to sustainable waste and waste water management;
- Joint action and cooperation in addressing climate change challenges, including modelling of impacts of the changing climate and development of the corresponding (joint) measures;
- Promotion of a low carbon and climate resilient development;
- Support to energy and resource efficiency (including use of renewable energy).
Improvement of accessibility to the regions, development of sustainable and climate-proof transport and communication networks and systems
- Improving the mobility of persons and goods;
- Developing transport services and infrastructures;
- Developing ICT infrastructure, data sharing and interoperability.
Common challenges in the field of safety and security
- Support to the development of health;
- Enhancing the access to health;
- Prevention and fight against organised crime;
- Law enforcement, Police and Customs cooperation (exchange of intelligence and information etc.);
- Support to joint activities for the prevention of natural and man-made disasters as well as joint action during emergency situations.
Promotion of and cooperation on sustainable energy and energy security
- Sustainable energy generation;
- Energy transmission and distribution systems, cooperation on energy security.
Promotion of border management and border security, mobility and migration management
- Support to border efficiency and security;
- Improvement of the border-crossing infrastructure and equipment at the border crossing points;
- Improvement of border management operations, customs and visas procedures;